Section 1 (Job interview)
- Day shift/Night shift
- You alternate from one week to another.
- She will ask you for a reference. (Referee: someone who knows you and can vouch for you. 替你担保)
Section 2 (City Council: replan the city + 地图题)
- address some concerns/address problems
- It is only a matter of time.
- So we’re trying to do something about that.
- The power company have agreed to bear the cost of this themselves after a lot of discussion with the council.
- act as a signal for traffic to slow down
Section 3 (Discussion between two students)
- turn someone down
- apply to somebody for sth.
- be eligible for sth
- But in the end they took pity on me, so now I’ve just about got enough.
- put a bit effort into meeting people
- frantically 疯狂地
- build up one’s stamina 磨练我的毅力
- But probably it’ll be a long haul. 但是可能这会是一个长期战线（需要长期努力才能达到的结果）。
- get insights into something
- struggle with something
- Then you can sort out your revision priorities, based on what’s most likely to come up with.
- Break down your revision into small tasks, and allocate them to specific days, there’s more incentive to tackle them. With big topics, you’re more likely to put off starting.
Section 4 (Australian Aboriginal rock paintings)
- images of their time
Section 1 (Book a taxi from Airport)
- beyond my budget
- But you have to bear in mind that there is only one departure a day.
- Hang on; we’re due to get there at 11.30 am.
- It’s a door-to-door service.
- I have to fill this form out for you.
- And you say your expected time of arrival was 11.30.
Section 2 (PS Camping Company)
- In Italy we now have some 64 sits that we either own, or have exclusive use of. (有专用)
- What’s more, our sites are truly child-friendly, and with this in mind, we operate a no-noise rule in the evening. (child-friendly 联想到environmentally-friendly，词的活用)
- In return, we’ll send you a thank-you present.
Section 3 (Tutorial: managing individuals in companies and the workplace)
- There are lots of reasons but research has shown a lot of it comes down to personality.
- It’s a well-known fact that men and women do lots of things in different ways, and the workplace is no different.
- Individual differences:
*They bring different ideas, but it’s also their attitudes and their experiences of learning.
*On the positive side, exposure to such diversity helps encourage creativity which is generally an asset to a company.
* But unfortunately individual differences are also the root of conflict between staff and they can lead to difficulties for management, which can sometimes be serious.
- Currently teamwork is in fashion in the workplace.
- What managers should be targeting is those employees who can take the lead in a situation and are not afraid to accept the idea of responsibility.
- One of the most important tasks of managers is to consider the needs of the individual on one hand and group co-operation and conformity on the other.
- over-: overrated; overestimated; overconfident
- You need to learn the rules and learn them fast. No individual can get around this if you’re working in an organization.
- When an individual demonstrates the behaviour the organization expects, some kind of incentive can be given. …. Also the incentive should be something the individual actually wants, and this isn’t always just money.
- have an understanding of sth.
Section 4 (Seminar: Archaeological fieldwork)
- Try to be extra careful.
- I’m sure I can rely on you to do that.