Section 1 (Complain towards insurance company)
Section 2 (Tour guide: Agriculture Park + 地图题)
- *Agriculture Park引申到Museum的宗旨，可灵活套用：
To give educational opportunities to the wider public as well as to offer research sites for a wide variety of agriculturists and other scientists.
- further east…
- reception block/desk
- lose sight of the main purposes
- browse around our shop
Section 3 (Asian Honey Bees)
- get sth. under control
Section 4 (Research: how British people see doctors)
- Long-term hospital care is in fact probably less of an issue than the media would have us believe.
- take back 撤销，收回
- It’s hard not to get angry in that situation but I tried to keep focused on the overall picture in order to stay calm.
- It’s a real eye-opener. 真是令我大开眼界的一人啊…
Section 1 (Rent a house in a town)
- It’ll soon have the best facilities for miles around. 很快它就会拥有方圆几里之内最好的设施。
- ahead of schedule 提前
- under construction 在建工程
- The only cinema in the area closed down (倒闭，关门) last year.
Section 2 (Reopening of National Arts Centre)
- It is actually much more than just a place to hear concerts.
- Under a single roof, it houses concert rooms, theatres, cinemas, art galleries and a wonderful public library, as well as service facilities including three restaurants and a bookshop.
(联想到：This is the so-called separation but still living under the same roof.)
(*也可用于describe a department store)
Section 3 (Job interview)
- language barriers
- I got de-motivated otherwise. (I was less motivated.)
- *Culture shock when first entering in a new place:
It was difficult at first to be accepted by the locals. It was a very remote village and some of them were reluctant to speak to me.
What struck me was that when people became more comfortable with me and less suspicious, we really connected with each other in a meaningful way.
- someone’s strong point 某人的强项
- the academic side of things
the administrative side of things
(剑桥9 Test 3 Section 2: the mechanical side of thing)
Section 4 (Business lecture: what can go wrong when businesses try to copy their own best practices)
- a host of
- gain a rough understanding of a particular system 对…粗略了解一番
- even the expert doesn’t fully grasp the whole thing
- The individual components of the process are interwoven with one another. 一个系统的各个部分相互交织着
- Try to use the best parts of various different systems, in the hope of creating the perfect combination.
Reasons of failure:
*There weren’t any advantages after all, because the information wasn’t accurate;
*The business settings weren’t comparable. And disadvantages have been overlooked.
*Adjust attitudes. Be more cautious and more realistic.
*Exert strict controls on the organizational and operational systems. Not merely duplicate physical features but also duplicate the skills that original employees had.