1. Some people think that the increasing use of computers and mobile phones for communication has had a negative effect on young people’s reading and writing skills.Do the advantage outweigh the disadvantage?
2. Some students take one year off between finishing school and going to university, in order to travel or to work. Do you think advantages outweigh disadvantages?
3. The leaders or directors of organizations are often older people. But some people say that young people can also be a leader. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. Some people think that the amount of noise people make should be controlled strictly, while other say that people are free to make as much noise as they wish. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
5. With the large demand of energy sources of oil and gas，should people looking for sources of oil and gas in remote and untouched places？ Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of damaging such area?
6. An increasing number of people are changing their careers. What are the reasons? Do you think it is positive or negative?
7. Some people think that if a police force carries a gun, it can lead to higher level of crime in that society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
8. Nowadays, women have full-time work same as men, logically men should share household equally with women. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Computer technologies are more accessible and cheaper, as the result, more adults work at home and children study at home. Is this a positive or negative development?
10. Some say the purpose of education is to prepare individuals to be useful to society. others say the purpose of education is to achieve personal ambitions. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
11. An increasing number of people change their career and places of residence several times during their life. Is this a positive or negative development？
12. It is important for all towns and cities to have large public outdoor places like squares and parks. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people think living in big cities is bad for people’s health. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
14. Children’s education is expensive. In some countries, the government pays some of or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages?
15. Many people think the painting and music do not directly improve the quality of people, therefore the government should not spend money in arts, and they should spend more money on construction of public facilities. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
16. Some people believe the best way to produce a better society is to ensure there is only a small difference between the earnings of the richest and the poorest. To what extend do you agree or disagree？
17. The international community should immediately reduce the consumption of fossil fuels of all countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
18. In many countries today, people can buy a wide range of household goods (TV, microwaves oven, and rice cooker). Is it a positive or negative development?
19. More and more people want to buy famous brands with clothes, cars and other items. What are the reasons? Do you think it is a positive or negative development?
20. As part of education, students should spend a period of time studying and living in a different country to learn language and culture. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
21. Some languages are increasing in use, while the use of many others is declining. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
22. Some people think that the rise of living standard in a country often only benefits cities rather than rural areas. What problems can be caused and how to reduce these problems?
23. Nuclear energy is better than other energy resources in meeting ever-increasing needs of the globe. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
24. In many countries today, people in cities either live alone or in small family units, rather than in large, extended family groups. Is this a positive or negative trend?