- show: describe/illustrate/ summarise/indicate/
- proportion: percentage
- categories: kinds/types
- families: households
- information: data
- number: figure
- males: men
- females: women
- influence: affect/effect
- demand: need
- subway: underground railway
- store: shop
- university: college
- chart: bar chart/ pie chart
- graph: line graph
- the number of = the figure for
- the proportion of = the figure for
- people in the USA = Americans
- from 1999 to 2009 = between 1999 and 2009
- from 1999 to 2009 = over a period of 10 years
Line graph/bar chart:
- 上升（动词）：go up/grow/increase/ascend/rise
- 急剧上升（动词）：jump/surge/shoot up/ soar
- 急剧下降动词：plummet/ plunge
- 幅度大：marked/substantial/ significant
- 稳定在一个水平：level off at/level out at/hover at/ stabalise at/reached a plateau at/
- 到达最高点：peak at/reach the highest point at
- 到达最低点：reach the bottom at/ bottom out at
- 到达多少数量：reach/amount to/arrive at/hit/register/stand at
- 占多少比重：account for/ represent/constitute/make up/ occupy
- provide/account for/constitute/make/take up
- Coal provided 46.2 percent of the whole in 1970.
- Males accounted for 10% of the whole workforce.
- Students make up nearly 20% of the group.
- Food constituted over 23% of my family ‘s expense.
- A is further divided/subdivided into B, C, and D.
- A roughly falls into three categories.
I am writing to request your assistance.
Would you please advise me regarding…
I would be very grateful if you could send me information on
I would like to inquire about…
I would like to reserve one room for….from…to…
I would appreciate your prompt reply regarding the availability of …
I would be very grateful if you would consider this request at your earliest convenience.
I am writing to express my interest in your recently advertised position for a …
I am writing in response to your advertisement in…on…
I am fully convinced that I am the right person for the advertised job.
Enclosed with this letter is my resume, which gives further details of my work experience.
I would like to meet you at your earliest convenience.
I am writing to invite you to
We would feel really honored if you could come.
I would be more than happy it you could come over.
I really hope you can make it.
I hope all this eventually works out.
- Making suggestions
I would like to suggest that … should…
It seems to me that you could…
If I were you/in your position, I would probably …
I am very glad to hear that…, so I am writing this letter to offer my suggestions.
… is a must-see as it boasts.
That way, you will find that…
That way, …would be ensured.
I would really appreciate it if you take my proposals into serious consideration.
I am writing to apologise for…
I would like to give you my apology for…
Please accept my sincere apology for…
I assure you the problem is temporary and it will not arise again.
Hope you can accept my apology and understand my situation.
Thank you for your understanding.
To make up for my thoughtless behavior, I hope to invite you to…
I am writing to bring to your attention the unprofessional attitude of one of the members of your staff.
I am sorry to inform you that…
I wish to complain about a…which I bought..days ago in…
I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with…
Your help/assistance has been invaluable to me during this process.
Your help and support is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to…
This letter is my personal recommendation letter for…
On behalf of the team, we are sad to see him go and wish him the best of luck in the future.
I highly recommend him for employment.
He demonstrates a strong work ethic and he was definitely a strong team player at his work location.