PTE考生目前最大的问题之一就是练习题缺乏。除了有限的基本官方书（PLUS，Testbuilder, OG）之外，就没有题了。很多英语基础不是很扎实的同学很难找到练习材料。墨尔本文波雅思PTE培训学校专门为墨尔本，悉尼PTE考生准备了PTE练习的lecture 93篇。各位PTE同学可以练习阅读，练习记笔记技巧，可以练习复述，甚至可以练习describe image。废话少说，下面开始：
Today we’ll examine the role that private transportation, namely, the automobile plays in city planning. A number of sociologists blame the automobile for the decline of the downtown areas of major cities. In the 1950’s and 1960’s the automobile made it possible to work in the city and yet live in the suburbs many miles away. Shopping patterns changed: instead of patronizing downtown stores, people in the suburbs went to large shopping malls outside the city and closer to home. Merchants in the city failed; and their stores closed. Downtown shopping areas became deserted. In recent years there’s been a rebirth of the downtown areas, as many suburbanites have moved back to the city. They’ve done this, of course, to avoid highways clogged with commuters from the suburbs. I’ve chosen this particular city planning problem—our dependence on private transportation to discuss in groups. I’m hoping you all will come up with some innovative solutions. Oh, and don’t approach the problem from a purely sociological perspective; try to take into account environmental and economic issues as well.
- namely:adv.usedtointroduceadditionalinformationwhichmakesitclear exactly who or what you are talking about 即,也就是(说)
- automobile: n. [C]AmE a car【美】汽车
- desert: v. to leave someone alone and refuse to help or support them any more 遗弃,抛弃,离弃;to leave a place so that it is completely empty 舍弃, 离开(某地)
- rebirth: n. formal a change by which an important idea, feeling, or organization becomes active again【正式】(思想、感情、组织的)再生,复兴
- suburbanite: n.[C]someone who lives in a suburb 郊区居民,住在郊区的人
- clog: v. if something clogs a road, pipe etc, or a road or a pipe clogs, itgradually becomes blocked and no longer works properly 阻塞,塞在