1.Only government action can solve housing shortages in big cities. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2.Do you agree that modern technology has given us more leisure time than before?
3.Nowadays people can carry out tasks such as shopping and banking even business transactions without meeting each other face to face. What are the effects on individuals and society?
4.It seems that with the increase in use of mobile phones and computers, fewer people prefer to write letters. Will the skill writing disappear completely?
5.It’s more important for a building to serve its purposes than to look beautiful. Architects do not need to worry about whether it is a real work of art. Do you agree or disagree?
6.People think that the news media has influenced people’s lives nowadays and it is a negative development. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7.The high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising but not the real need of the society where such products are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
8.Some people believe that studying in a college or university is the best way for students to prepare for their future career. Others think they should leave school as soon as possible to develop their career through work experience.
9.Some people think personal happiness is directly related to economic success, while others believe this depends on other factors. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
10.In many countries, students pay for their own college and tuition fees, while sometimes government pays. Do the advantages for government paying outweigh disadvantages?
11.Some people think that, in order to improve the quality of education, students should be encouraged to evaluate and criticize their teachers. Others feel that this will result in a loss of respect and discipline in the classroom.
Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
12. Television has had a significant influence on the culture of many societies. To what extent do you think it has positively or negatively affected cultural development?
13. As countries develop, their populations tend to live individually or in small family units. In your opinion, what is this cause and what are the effects on society.
14. International travel often leads people to have some prejudices rather than broad-mind. What are the main reasons of this phenomenon? What do you think people can do to get better understanding of the countries they visit?
15. The workplace nowadays is trying to employ the equal number of females and males. Do you think it is a positive or negative trend?
16. Some people think young people should be free to choose their job, while others believe that they should be realistic and think about their future. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
17. Air travel can only benefit the richest people in the world. Ordinary people can get no advantage with the development of air travel. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
18. Some people believe that the charity organisations should give aid to those in greatest need，wherever they live. Some people believe that the charity organisations would better concentrate on helping people who live in own country instead. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
19. Most countries want to improve standard of living through economic development, however, others think social value is lost as a result. Do you think the advantages of economic development outweigh the disadvantages?
20. Some people believe governments should spend money in saving languages of few speakers from dying out completely. Others think this is a waste of financial resources.
You are working in an English speaking country. Recently, you have learned that a person who lives near your home can offer English lessons. Write a letter to this person. In this letter,
1. Tell him/her how you got to know about the lesson
2. Explain why you are interested in this lesson
3. Say when and where you want to have the lesson
A building company is planning to build on some land near where you live and has asked the people to give their comments. Write a letter to the manager of the building company and you should:
- Say how you heard about the plan of the building company
- Give your opinion of the plan
- Say what you hope the building company will do.
Your English teacher who taught you several years ago have invited you to have a meal at his house but you cannot go.
1. Explain the reason that you cannot go
2. Suggest next arrangement
3. Tell him about yourself and your improvement in English learning
You heard there is a job to guide tourists in you town for a travel company. Write a letter to the company. In your letter,
1. How (where) you heard about this job
2. Why you think you are suitable for this job
3. Ask some questions about this job
You organized for a relative a 90th birthday party in a hotel, many elderly guests attended this party which is of great success. Write a letter to thank the hotel manager. In your letter:
1. Give the details of the party
2. The reason why the party is so successful
3. Mention a staff helped you a lot/helps provided by a staff of hotel
You have an English-speaking friend who lives in another country. His son has a short vacation before going to college. Write a letter to your friend. In your letter,
1. Invite your friend’s son to come to your city,
2. Introduce some interesting places to visit
3. Say something about the weather in the city you live
地址：Suite 1104，level 11, 258 Little Bourke Street，Mel，VIC, 3000